The requirements for admission to the Art & Science master's programmes are an artistic and/or scientific qualification (evaluated on the basis of the submitted portfolio and through the admission test) and to have completed the minimum of a domestic (or equivalent international) Bachelor study in any discipline. The programme is held in English so candidates should also be comfortable in conversing and writing in this language.
- The first phase includes the assessment of artistic and/or scientific works in the portfolio, a letter of motivation and a CV.
- The second phase lasts two days and consists of two conceptual/creative tasks in the fields of art and science.
- In the third phase, the candidate’s aptitude for the programme is reviewed in a personal interview.
Each phase requires a positive assessment to move onto the next step.
Application & portfolio submission
To be considered for the course it is necessary to submit a portfolio of your artistic and/or scientific works. Candidates should show a special interest in transdisciplinary projects and the ability to deal with techniques that experiment with different methods and media.
The application should include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) and contact information (telephone number, email address)
- A letter of motivation stating your interest in art and science as well as in the approach of the course (What do I expect from the course? Why do I want to take this study? What is my professional vision for the future?)
- Portfolio with your artistic and/or scientific works.
- Digital versions of the portfolio, motivation letter and CV must also be submitted.
Applications can be or posted (Art & Science, University of Applied Arts Vienna, Oskar-Kokoschka-Platz 2, 1010 Vienna, Austria), but you will need to come in person to the Art & Science office to sign your application by the 27th of February 2018.
Tasks & interview
The admission exam includes a written part and practical work, as well as a personal interview. The questions are related to the fields of art and science in interconnection and to a presentation of the aesthetic-visual and conceptual competences.
Application schedule for 2018/2019Information meeting for prospective applicants
23 January 2018, 13:00 to 14:00
Application & portfolio submission:
26-27 February 2018, 09:00 to 13:00
Written and practical tasks:
28 February to 01 March 2018, 10:00 to 16:00
02 March 2018, 10:00 to 14:00
Location (NB: not our postal address):
Art & Science, University of Applied Arts Vienna
Expositur Hohenstaufengasse 9/9, 1010 Vienna, Austria
A summary of this information can be found in our application leaflet: